Old Parliament House was constructed in 1843 and over time has seen at least 28 separate additions or improvements. The building is of major historical significance both at the state and national level with Old Parliament House the only building in South Australia on a national heritage register.
Faced with an ageing and progressively dysfunctional facility, the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure engaged Mossop Construction + Interiors in the role of Managing Contractor under a collaborative form of contract to work with the project team. The project was to redevelop and upgrade the building in a manner that is sensitive to the heritage and historical context of the building and to provide a wholly 21st century functional (both use and infrastructure) and fully accessible (disability access compliant) building to meet long term requirements of the state and ensure ongoing maintenance of a significant piece of the state’s building history.
Delivered on and adjacent the secure, operational and prominent North Terrace Parliament House site the conservation and redevelopment project was quietly and sensitively delivered to achieve the client desired outcomes.